national convention hosting
Deirdre Helfferich
2005-10-06 22:57:22 UTC
Here's the brief exhange I've had with an Oklahoma Green (they were
accredited just before they proposed hosting the national convention)
about hosting the national meeting: (sorry about the reverse order on
the posts)

deirdre
Well I would say go for it. (I especially dig the camping idea... we
did that for our last state convention and had a blast) I think it
is a long-shot but worth doing. At the very least it is a good
excuse to educate greens nation-wide about the Alaska greens and the
circumstances y'all face. (that truthfully is the main reason
Oklahoma applied last year. Joni was a true believer all along, but
the rest of us thought that it was worth doing as an educational
thing but didn't expect that we would be the only group to actually
stay the course for the whole process.
James
If people didn't mind the bugs, we could camp out (for the REAL
Alaskan experience!). Veddy cheap. And for those who can stay
longer and travel a bit, there'd be people all over the state who'd
be willing to put folks up on a couch.
Travel cost is why we so often don't make it south for meetings,
but I was thinking if people could get to Seattle, then we could do
an international Al-Can convoy. Of course, that would take a while,
but it would be a great trip.
Deirdre
Oh wow, that would be cool. The travel cost would be the kicker,
but if you could find affordable location for lodging and the
convention meetings, then you could pitch it as being a trade-off,
and the big plus of having the convention in a really neat place
that is often neglected by national political gatherings.
Another big plus is that it isn't that far from Canada, so maybe
the invite could go out for Canadian greens to attend some of the
sessions in a show of unity and international green cooperation.
James
Hi, James,
I'm trying to get interest going here in Alaska. We're always way
left out since we're way the heck and gone from anywhere else,
but we could use an influx of a couple hundred Greens from all
over the country.
deirdre
--
Deirdre Helfferich
Green Party of Alaska
http://www.tygreens.org
Jim Sykes
2005-10-07 04:40:43 UTC
Since our last convention was not well attended, I seriously question
that we are ready to host a National convention. While it might inspire
interest, it would be a massive effort, the kind of which we haven't
yet seen.

As much as it would be wonderful, I don't think it's time yet.

One person's opinion. If there is enuf energy and desire to do it, I'll
certainly help.

Jim Sykes
Deirdre Helfferich
2005-10-07 07:24:47 UTC
Hans and I went to a meeting tonight of what is tentatively called
the Fairbanks Grassroots Alliance, a bunch of mostly young, mostly
Green, very activist oriented UAF students--but not exclusively so.
THe group showed Outfoxed and spent some time discussing media
issues, and I brought a bunch of back issues of Green Pages, along
with some cards for signing up for the Green Party Card. They went
like hotcakes. Fairbanks is going to be working on keeping Wal-Mart
from installing a second store, and will be setting up an alternative
media site, and maybe starting another paper.

I think the UAF Campus Greens are going to be revived, and maybe even
the TY-Greens.

The Ketchikan Greens are talking about setting up a website, too.

I suspect that the Green Party in Alaska is about to experience a revival.

YAHOO!

Deirdre
--
Deirdre Helfferich
Green Party of Alaska
http://www.tygreens.org
greenak
2005-10-09 23:32:45 UTC
I met with a bunch of progressives last night up by the Matanuska glacier.
People are getting fed up with the way government is going and are taking
action and ready to take action.

The word "stealth" is not one I like. The only offices that are partisan
are legislative, congressional and Governor/Lt.Governor. All others are
nonpartisan, at least in name. Anyone who runs for public office needs to
be, well, public. Greens have always been encouraged to seek seats on local
boards, commissions and city/borough assemblies. That is where experience
is often grown.

In reality, our party lacks a great deal of financial and people power
because it is small. Candidates need to believe in the mission and the
message because it is largely up to candidates to build a viable campaign.
At least it is usually grassroots and that is what the party also has to
build. Unfortunately, our system is currently greased with larges sums of
money that candidates tend to seek. So we need people who are committed to
the Green agenda.

Our stated positions are increasingly being recognized as right. So we need
to take action. Recruit candidates, push for the issues we helped bring out
and take credit for them.

While we need to build the grassroots, we still need to maintain ballot
status. It would not take a great deal of effort or money to run against
Don Young. While we are in court challenging the restrictive campaign laws,
it would be good to have a statewide candidate to help inspire more locals
and continue our unbroken string of statewide races where we have gotten
more than 3% since 1990. Only the R's and D's have done this--no other
small party. So long as we keep doing it, it will be harder for the courts
to say we don't exist. Tim Feller made only one campaign appearance and
spent no money in 2004 to get the needed 3%. Hopefully someone is willing
to step up to the plate in 2006.

Just like a play, no part is too small, they are all important. Same in
politics. If you don't like the government you have, run against somebody.

Jim Sykes

Jim Sykes
2005-11-19 06:09:37 UTC
This is a very interesting column from conservative columnist Charles
Krauthammer. Definitely worth a read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/17/AR2005111701304.html

Jim Sykes

Judith Moss
2005-10-07 18:50:07 UTC
I have to agree with Jim about the feasibility of us hosting a National Convention. It would be difficult to do since we all seem to be so scattered (physical locations) that we did not have a very good attendance for our local convention. But, if there is some other who wish to pursue the idea, I will any way I can. I just don't think we are ready for such a venture.
Judy Moss treasurer
Post by Jim Sykes
Since our last convention was not well attended, I seriously question
that we are ready to host a National convention.  While it might inspire
interest, it would be a  massive effort, the kind of which we haven't
yet seen.
As much as it would be wonderful, I don't think it's time yet.
One person's opinion.  If there is enuf energy and desire to do it, I'll
certainly help.
Jim Sykes
Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Judith Moss
2005-10-07 18:52:28 UTC
Deidre, I for one sure hope you are right!!!!! We need something to happen here in Anchorage too, but I am not sure what!!! Judy Moss