Greenpeace: Act! Tell YOUR Senators what you think about Exxon's profits
james m nordlund
2005-11-15 17:19:56 UTC
Tell YOUR Senators what you think about Exxon's profits.
Dear James M, 08 November 2005

I, like so many of you, have been appalled by what I've seen at gas
stations and on the news in recent months. At gas pumps across the
country, Americans have been watching prices climb, and their wallets
shrink. That's why a couple of weeks ago, when the world's largest oil
company, ExxonMobil, announced record-breaking profits, it got everyone's
attention - including Congress'.

TOMORROW, Congress is holding hearings against Exxon and the rest of the
oil industry for possible price gouging.

Take Action! Tell YOUR Senators what you think about Exxon's profits.

www.greenpeace.org

In fact, Exxon's profits exceeded the gross domestic product of several
oil producing nations, including Kuwait, Libya and Qatar. Exxon made a
profit of nearly $10 BILLION this quarter, and got another windfall from
Bush's $14.5 BILLION in tax breaks and incentives for the energy industry.
In short, ExxonMobil has made the highest quarterly profit earnings in
U.S. history, but it hasn't spent a dime on alternative energy.

At a time when the average American is unsure how to pay for increased
heating costs this winter, Exxon's red-hot profits are a slap in the face.
Worse yet, they're a kick in the teeth for average fisherman in Alaska,
who still have not received the $5 billion dollars awarded to them by a
court of law following the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989. What's Exxon's
excuse?

Exxon's behavior is greedy, and it's time for Congress to put a stop to
it.

Sincerely,

Chris Miller
Greenpeace Energy Campaigner

Last week, I witnessed one of the greatest scenes of my Greenpeace career,
and I have you to thank for it. More than 300 events took place in cities
and towns across the country, by people from all walks of life with one
common purpose: to stop Kimberly-Clark from destroying ancient forests.

Activists placed mock clearcuts in busy pedestrian malls, staffed
information tables at schools and universities, and adopted small-town
grocery stores - all to raise awareness and to pressure Kimberly-Clark to
stop wiping away ancient forests. And that was just the beginning.

In California, Rohini organized university students at CSU Fullterton. But
she doesn't go to school there - she's in high school!
And then there was the "Mom's Protest," in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cheryl
organized the event to celebrate her daughter's birthday (our very own
forest campaigner, Ginger!).
Students in Athens, Georgia called company board members outside of a
"forest crimes scene" with caution tape and oversized photos of
Kimberly-Clark clearcuts.

Of course, with all of these great grassroots activities going on across
the country, I knew we had to do something extra special - I mean, we're
supposed to be the pros! So here in our San Francisco office, we filled a
public square with toilet bowls, and stuffed artificial trees down them to
demonstrate how Kimberly-Clark is flushing ancient forests down the
toilet.

I want to thank you all for making our Day of Action so effective. But the
battle isn't over, and there's still more you can do.

Take Action! Please take just a moment today to call the CEO of
Kimberly-Clark, and make sure he gets the message: Don't blow ancient
forests on disposable tissue.

Make a Donation! Kimberly-Clark is the world's largest manufacturer of
tissue products. If we're going to tackle this corporate giant, we need
your help. Please consider a donation today.

Thanks,

Pamela Wellner
Forests Campaigner

3 Ways to Help
1: Donate Now
Help Greenpeace Take a Stand. Become a Member Today.

2: Take Action
Visit our Action Center and take action today.

3: Tell a Friend
Forward this message to a friend. Help spread the word.

Blog Spotlight

John Hocevar - Greenpeace Oceans Campaigner

"Over several decades, the U.S. military dumped millions of pounds of
weapons of mass destruction into the ocean. Enormous amounts of mustard
gas, nuclear material, high explosives and chemical weapons were dropped
into waters near Europe, Japan and the Philippines. In the U.S., weapons
were dumped all up and down our Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf of Mexico
coasts.

"It's all going to leak into the environment.

"Unless, that is, the Army starts taking responsibility for its mess. As
it is now, they haven't looked at any of these sites since the '70s, and
have no plans to recover anything."

Read the rest of the blog and check out some amazing images.

Read more blogs.

Don't Support Kimberly-Clark

Buy These Tissue Alternatives:

Earth Friendly
Marcal
Planet
Seventh Generation
365 Every Day Value
Trader Joe's

Don't Buy:

Kleenex
Scott
Cottonelle
Kotex
Huggies
Depend
Viva

702 H Street, NW
Suite 300
Washington, D.C. 20001
(800) 326-0959

You received this mailing because you are subscribed to our mailing list.
If you need to update your information or prefer not to receive these
mailings in the future click here to update your account.

We value your privacy. If you have any questions about how we use your
information please read our privacy policy.

Remember Greenpeace During CFC Season

http://mail.yahoo.com
Steve Conn
2005-11-15 17:27:20 UTC
Last night channel two reported that Diane Benson's son lost both of his
legs in Iraq a few days ago.Diane, my former student and friend, deserves
the special support of Greens, given her contributions to the Party. I hope
that those of you capable of reaching out to her will do so. Steve Conn