WAND Action: Happy Turkey Day! 2005
james m nordlund
2005-11-24 17:03:26 UTC
Happy Turkey Day! 2005
Why we're thankful! November 2005

It's been difficult to keep our hopes up the last few years.
But we may finally be seeing some light on the horizon.

Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at WAND!

We thought it would be a good time to count our blessings and renew our
commitment to realizing our vision of a better world. Let us know what
you're thankful for this year!

The growing sense of outrage about the war in Iraq. Not just in the
American public, but -- finally -- in Congress.

Rep. Murtha's call for the withdrawal of troops in Iraq has been a
highlight: "The guys in Congress are scared to death to say anything
because they might be vilified," Murtha said. "The soldiers can't speak
for themselves. We sent them to war and, by God, we're the ones that have
to speak out."

To send a message to Congress, click here.

http://capwiz.com/wand/home/

To sign onto a petition, click here.

http://www.capwiz.com/wand/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=7967631

http://www.epic-usa.org/Default.aspx?tabid=244

--Susan Shaer, WAND executive director

Our most important moment of thankfulness this year? The renewed debate
over the virtue or vice of the Iraq war.

And I would name the bunker buster win, the missile defense amendment
(which lost, but at least there was one), the Cooperative Threat Reduction
amendment victory, and increased awareness of the threat of space weapons.

--Darcy Scott Martin, WAND and WiLL Washington director

Bill HR4197 to help Hurricane Katrina Victims: If passed, it will benefit
all the victims that were involved in the devastation.

And: Discussion stirred up by Andrew Young, former mayor of Atlanta and
ambassador to the UN with the new group "Why Tuesday? Let's Move the
Vote." I am hopeful that the bill to shift voting to the weekend will pick
up momentum.

--Tanya Wallace , WAND national field director

The U.S. will not be developing new nuclear weapons this year. We are
keeping our word and leading by example.

I am so thankful for all the efforts of our members, friends, and
partners: we have stopped the effort to make more of these horrible
weapons of mass destruction. A step back from the brink, a step forward
toward the elimination of nuclear weapons. --Thanks.

--Marie Rietmann, WAND public policy director

Some days, I really fear for my daughters: the imminent loss of
reproductive choice, the persistent rush to war, the bankrupting of the
federal budget.

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/